Student Visa and Stay Permit for International Students in Italy

Study Visa

Study Visa is only accepted and considered to be valid for final registration at the Higher Education Institutions in Italy. Consequently, you must apply to the competent Italian diplomatic authority and ask for a study visa in your name. The competent Italian diplomatic authority is in charge for accepting your pre-application and determining if you fulfil the prerequisites for the visa.


You need to possess the following documents:

  • Proof of lodging in Italy
  • Document demonstrating your financial stability 
  • Proof of funding
  • Must be entitled to medical care in Italy 
  • Admission Letter
  • Academic transcripts
  • Visa application form and photographs
  • Document demonstrating your right to medical care in Italy 

Stay Card (EU National and Eu-equated Citizens)

EU nationals and Eu-equated citizens afore leaving their home country must apply for the statement indispensable to receive the stay card once in Italy. The statement is issued by the able Italian diplomatic representative in your country.

Stay Permit (Non-Eu Citizens Outside Italy)

All non-Eu citizens who have a study visa for Italy must apply for a stay permit for study purposes within 8 days from arrival. The application for the stay permit must be presented at authorized Post Offices. The Post Officer will come for the identification. During his visit, you need to pay a certain amount for the service directly to him. Also, you will then have to pay a certain fee through postal money transfer for the issuing of the electronic version of the document. The Post office will leave you a receipt of the Stay permit application. Later you will be summoned by the local police station (Questura) by SMS and letter in order first to take your fingerprints and then to receive the electronic version of your stay permit. You can ring the toll free number 803.160 to know about the contact details of Post offices approved to accept the application form for the stay permit.


All the overseas non-Eu students, after their admission, and at least 30 days afore the expiration of their stay permits, have to apply to the Questura for the stay permits to be extended for the whole year. Along with the form, each student must demonstrate to have the necessary financial backing to support themselves, an admission certificate issued by an Italian Higher education institution, and to fulfil all the other prerequisites required for the issuing of the stay permit. 
Both study visa and stay permits are renewed to the pupils who have passed one examination in the first year of their degree program, and at least two examinations in the following years.  The stay permit can be renewed also to a student who has passed only one examination against documentary proof of a state of very poor health or of other grave grounds. 

Applying Procedure for Visa

EU nationals from countries within Schengen borders do not need visas for visits to Italy but need a permit to stay, if they intend to stay more than 90 days. Other countries need to have visas for both long-term and short-term stays.
  • Visit  Visa to find out whether you need visa for entry into Italy. Click on the question “Do you need a visa”, and choose the country you are a national of, the country where you have registered residency, and the duration of stay and reason of the stay in Italy, you will get to know whether you need a visa for entry into Italy or not. All types of visas list the documentation needed.
  • Check with which Italian consulate general office you will apply for your student visa. You must apply through the consulate-general office, which includes the state in which you are a resident or, with the consulate, that covers the state in which you are a registered student. 
  • Complete the application linked to the website of the consulate with which you will apply. Visa applications must be submitted to the Embassy or Consulate of Italy.

Types of Visas

Visas may be individual, i.e.  issued to an individual applicant, or group visas, i.e. issued to a group of foreigners. Group visas cannot exceed 30 days.
Visas are divided into three main types: 
  1.  Uniform Schengen Visas (USV): valid for all the Schengan memeber States. Such visas may be: Type A-airport transit visas; Type B-transit visas; Type C- short-stay or travel visas, valid for up to 90 days, for single or multiple entries.
  2.  Limited Territorial Validity visas (LTV): These are exclusively valid for the Schengen State whose diplomatic representative issued the visa without any chance of access or travel to the region of any other Schengen States. They are issued only on the grounds of humanity, or in the national interest, or under international agreements 
  3.  Long stay or “national” (NV) Visas: These are only valid for visits that are longer than 90 days (type D), with one or more entries, in the region of the Schengen State whose diplomatic authorities issued the visa, and to travel within the dominion of other Schengen States for a duration of not more than five days.

Key Documentation for Student Visa

Following are the key documents required for Student Visa:
  • Visa application form 
  • Recent passport-size photographs
  • Passport or travel ticket valid for at least three months after visa expiry date
  • Proof of financial resources: It can be in the form of bank statements, or letter from family guaranteeing continuous support, or proof of scholarships or grants.
  • Proof of accommodation 
  • One full blank page of valid passport
  • Proof of medical care for the period of stay in Italy
  • Letter of Acceptance or Admission Letter: The letter must have the seal of the institutions or signed by the head.
  • Documentation of payment in full for the course of study of the educational institution.


Visit Visa Cost  to know about the fees.

Validity of Student Visa in Italy

The student Visa last from 90 day to 360 days. 

Issuance Time 

The duration for issuing the student Visa is 2 to 5 days. The time might vary depending on the country of origin. 

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Italy
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

More »

Italy Select a Country

Our Network :