International Medical Admission Test in Italy
If you are interested in studying medicine or surgery undergraduate courses in English from Italy then passing International Medical Admissions Test (IMAT) is mandatory for you whereas, if you are currently studying in Italian then you are required to take Italian Admission Test developed by the Italian Commission.
The International Medical Admissions Test (IMAT) is an aptitude test used as a constituent of the admissions procedure for an undergraduate Medicine course at Italian universities. These universities along with the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) in cooperation with Cambridge Assessments’ Admissions Testing Service, provide undergraduate medical tests that are conducted in English and open to candidates outside of the Italian Republic.
The following are the participating universities that allow both the home (Italy) and international students to study medicine at Italian Universities
- University of Bari
- University of Milan
- University of Pavia
- Sapienza University of Rome
- University of Rome Tor Vergata
- Second University of Naples
Structure of IMAT
The IMAT is a pen-and-paper test of 90 minutes. It comprises four sections:
- Section 1: General Knowledge and Logical Reasoning.
- Section 2, 3 and 4: Scientific Knowledge covering Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
Section 1: General Knowledge and Logical Reasoning
This section tests the general knowledge, critical thinking and problem solving approach as well as logical reasoning skills of the candidates. It requires candidates to read, understand and interpret data and draw conclusions based on the same. The general knowledge section includes several cultural topics, such as historical, political, philosophical, literary and social. The problem solving part helps to learn new things. The answers of this part can be derived by the methods known to be effective problem-solving tools, such as guess and check, forming procedures and tables, manipulation, and looking out for similarities.
- No. of questions: 27
- Type: Multiple-choice questions
Section 2, 3 and 4: Scientific Knowledge covering Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math
This section involves questions based on the science subjects-physics, chemistry and biology, as well includes math questions. The biology section comprises questions based on the bio-elements, bio-energetic, reproduction and inheritance, environment and anatomy of animals and humans. The chemistry part includes questions based on the following topics: States of matter, Fundamentals of organic and inorganic matter, chemical reactions and Stoichiometry, and so on. The physics section cover topics of based on kinematics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electrodynamics. The mathematics section includes questions based on algebra, geometry, and statistics.
- No. of questions: 33
- Type: Multiple-choice questions
You can register on the “Univesritaly” website. Visit the Univesritaly
website , select your university choice. Once you’ve selected the university choice, click on “Proceed” button on the IMAT page to start your registration. Follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Select a country of your choice, where you wish to take your test in, and then click ‘Next’ to continue
- Step 2: Once you have selected the country that you wish to take your test, you will see the available institutions in that location. Click on your preferred institution and then click ‘Next’ to continue and complete your registration process.
- Step 3: After entering all the necessary details and accepting the ‘terms and conditions’, pay the fees. You can pay the fees using Visa credit card, MasterCard, debit card, JCB and Electron cards and Vista prepaid card. Enter your card details for payment, click on the box accept the ‘Terms and Conditions’, and then click on the ‘Proceed’ button to complete the payment procedure.
If your payment is successful, you will progress to a confirmation page. You’ll also get two emails; one confirming your payment and a second confirming the time and location of the test you have preferred. Take a copy of those emails to your test centre.
You can take the IMAT at authorised centres all over the globe. Find your nearest centre at IMAT
The IMAT fee varies from year to year. Check the official website IMAT
for payment details and there is an additional fee being charged for rescheduling and cancellation of IMAT appointment.
Scoring and Results
IMAT questions have five choices, out of which one is right. A correct answer receives 1.5 points, while a wrong answer deducts 0.4 points from the final score. If a question is not attempted, no marks is awarded or subtracted, it is 0 points. MIUR sets a 20 point minimum threshold in order to hold a spot in the final ranking list.