Third Cycle Application Procedure in Italy
The Third cycle courses include Doctorate (Dottorati di Ricerca), Specialisation Schools(Scuole di Specializzazione) and also 2nd Level Vocational Masters (Master di Secondo Livello).
Know about your country group, whether EU or EU-equated nationals. “Country Category”. Visit the websites of respective Italian Universities or directly contact the international relations offices of individual institutions to acquire information on third cycle degree programs. Contact secretariat of the University of your Choice and ask them for necessary documents required for admittance in the specific third cycle degree program you are interested in.
EU nationals, EU-equated citizens and non-EU citizens living in Italy on a regular residence permit, can apply directly to the chosen Italian institutions and submit their academic documents or any other records issued by their home institutions.
Non-EU applicants living outside Italy has to submit their pre-application to the competent Italian diplomatic authorities. The Italian diplomatic authorities after thorough examination forward their applications and attached documents to concerned Italian institution. The Non-EU applicants are required to pass an Italian language test to be eligible for admission to Italian Higher education institutions.
Key DocumentationThe following documents must be submitted for admittance:
- Academic Credentials: Master degree certificate issued by the university demonstrating exams passed, grades etc. The credentials must be translated into Italian by an official translator, certified by the authorities of issuing country.
- A certificate of equivalence of qualification from the Italian Embassy of the same country
- Copy of a valid identity card or passport.
- Two passport-size photographs and a payment receipt
- A valid residence permit (for non-EU citizens)
- Curriculum Vitae: The Curriculum vitae should include your educational background, professional and research experience, honours and awards, and community service or volunteer work details (if any). It basically provides a clear outline about your achievements, to the admissions panel and helps them to decide whether you are a right fit with their program.
- Research Proposal (for doctorate research): A research proposal is a summary of what you intend to do for your research, and will include the title, background history, research methodology, analysis and results.
- Personal Statement: It should include your commitment to the program and chosen career. Show your interest and enthusiasm for the program and university and mention about the skills and accomplishments’ and also, how you will use the qualification once you've completed the program.
The applicants might be required taking an interview or an entrance exam for admissions to the third cycle degree program- Specialisation Schools.This may include a written tests or an oral test. The score obtained in the entrance exam are added to an additional score that is obtained by the qualifications evaluation.The following components are evaluated: Graduation thesis related to the field of specialisation, the final grades, and scientific publications. The applicants must visit the respective websites of the University and know more about it.